Soundslides is software commonly used by journalism programs to create slideshows with an audio track.¬† School Newspapers Online does not sell or license this software, but as many journalism programs use it, we have incorporated the ability to display Soundslides slideshows into our sites.¬† If you are interested in purchasing Soundslides software, you can find it at the Soundslides Web site.¬† For instructions on how to use Soundslides software, please refer to Soundslides Instructions.
¬†Host your Soundslides file
Once you’ve created your Soundslides presentation, you’ll need to upload it to the Internet.¬† Unfortunately, Soundslides is not built in a way that makes this simple to do.
- Click the “EXPORT” button on your Soundslides window, and a folder called “publish_to_web” is created inside your main project folder. You’ll be able to find this folder within the Project folder that was created when you set up your Soundslides presentation.¬† This publish_to_web folder will contain about 12 other files/folders.
- Upload¬†this folder via FTP to your website’s directory.¬† (You’ll need to request your FTP username and password from us before you can do this.¬† If you submit a helpdesk ticket, we’ll be happy to send you this information.)¬† We recommend creating a “soundslides” folder in your wp-content/uploads folder.
- Figure out the URL of the uploaded slideshow (http://yoururl.com/wp-content/uploads/soundslides/mysoundslide1)¬† go to the Soundslides embed utility site.
- You can then adjust the size of your Soundslides presentation.¬† Make sure it is no bigger than 600 pixels¬†wide by 400 pixels¬†tall.
- Copy the embed code¬†that Soundslides provides.
Add Soundslides to one of your stories
- Start a new Story or edit an existing Story in your WordPress dashboard.
- Paste the Soundslides embed code in the secondary embed code custom field box.
- If you would like a slideshow credit line to appear beneath your slideshow, fill in the credit line just beneath where you entered the embed code.
- If you would like this slideshow to appear in the Featured Multimedia spot on the Multimedia page, select the category Featured Multimedia.
- Otherwise, assign it to one of the multimedia page categories.
- Click Save/Publish.
Note:¬† You can use the secondary embed custom field for any type of embed code, even embed code not created by Soundslides.¬† For example, maybe you have two videos for one story.