A&E Section Page Add-On
The A&E Add-On comes with a dedicated page template to display extra information about all of your Arts and Entertainment reviews.¬† This page template has a space for a featured A&E review, a place for song reviews with an audio player for those reviews, and teasers for three subcategories of A&E stories.
You’ll notice on the left side of your admin panel that there is an A&E tab underneath the Stories Tab.¬† This Custom Write Panel is designed specifically for adding A&E stories, and you should always use this panel when adding A&E stories.
To view all your options for configuring the A&E page, click on your site’s Theme Options page under the Appearances tab.¬† You’ll find the settings in the second column.
Add Content to the A&E Page
STEP 1: Add a new A&E Story
- Click on New¬†under the A&E tab¬†in your WordPress dashboard.
- Put the headline of the story in the Title¬†box.
- Paste the story itself in the text editor.
- Add a main photo to your story.
- If you want a story to appear in the Featured A&E spot, you must also add a custom excerpt in the Excerpt¬†box. Paste the first two to three paragraphs of the story in this box.¬† Always check the A&E page to make sure the excerpt is the appropriate length.
STEP 2: Fill out all the appropriate labeled custom fields boxes.¬†
NOTE: Not all boxes need to be filled out.¬† To maintain a consistent looking page, though, you should always use these four:¬† title of movie/music, teaser, thumbnail photo, and reviewer’s rating.
- Title of Movie/Music:¬†Use just the title of the movie/album.¬† If there is a long title, you should abbreviate it.
- Teaser:¬†¬†This text should be no longer than 20 words.¬† Check your page after you publish the story to make sure the teaser isn’t too long.¬† A teaser that’s too long will make the formatting look less professional.
- Reviewer’s Ratings:¬† Create your own ratings system…grades, numbers, stars, it’s up to you.
- URL of mp3 file:¬†¬†If you have an audio clip that you want readers to hear, paste the URL of the audio clip in this box.¬† If you have a podcast that you made, you can upload the podcast to your site and put the URL in this box (see your regular manual for more details) NOTE:¬† Song clips must be hosted on an external server.¬† Uploading mp3 files of songs to your site would be a violation of copyright laws.
- Embed Code for Movie Trailer:¬† If there’s a trailer for a film on YouTube or some other video site, you can add the embed code into this custom field.
- Allow Users to Rate:¬†¬†Select Yes¬†if you want users to be able to vote on how well they like a particular movie/album.¬† Select No¬†if you want the star ratings system to be hidden for that particular story.¬† NOTE:¬† Star ratings only show up for the Featured A&E story on the A&E page, but they will show up for all selected stories on their permalink pages.
STEP 3: Fill out the standard custom fields that are used with every story on your site — writer, caption, etc…
STEP 4: Select categories
- Assign the story to the appropriate category.¬† NOTE:¬† The category box is on the right side.¬† Make sure that the All Categories¬†tab is selected, and not the Most Used tab.
- If you want the story in the Featured spot, select Featured A&E.¬† If a story appears as the Featured story, it will not appear in the lists at the bottom of the page, even if assigned to those categories.¬† Once a new Featured story is added, though, the old Featured story will appear in the lists at the bottom of the page.
- If you want the story to appear in one of the lists at the bottom, assign it to the appropriate A&E subcategory.
- If the story is one of your Song Reviews, assign it to the Song Review category.¬† Any story assigned to this category must have the mp3 custom field added.¬† By default, any story assigned to this category will have the star ratings displayed.
STEP 5: Click Publish.