We’ve included an Audio Player plugin with your site that will automatically place an audio player in your stories.¬† You can use this audio player to play mp3 files that you have created and uploaded to your site, and you can also use it to play any mp3 file that is hosted on the Internet or at a podcast hosting service.
STEP 1: Create your podcast.
- Create the podcast using any of the many podcasting tools/software available.
- Follow this video tutorial on how to use GarageBand to create a Podcast:¬† http://www.apple.com/ilife/tutorials/#garageband-podcast.
- Export your Podcast to your computer in mp3 format.
STEP 2: Host your files.
If your file is 1 MB or smaller, you can upload it directly to your site just like you would a photo.¬† If your file is larger than 1 MB, you’ll need to upload it to a podcast hosting service such as podbean.com.
- Create a free account¬†with PodBean.com
- Once you are logged in, click on Upload.
- Upload your file.
- In the Media Manager¬†window, click on the name of the file you uploaded.
- In a pop-up window, you will see the File URL of the file you just uploaded.
- Copy that URL¬†– you will need to add it to your site.
STEP 3:¬† Add your podcast to a story
- Create¬†or Edit a Story.
- In the “URL of Uploaded Audio Player” custom field, paste the URL¬†of your hosted mp3 file.
- Assign the post to the category Audio¬†if you’d like it to appear in the podcast box in the homepage sidebar.¬† Even if you don’t select this category, your podcast will play in an audioplayer on the permalink page for that particular story.¬† NOTE: The podcast will not play on the homepage if you’ve placed a SNO Podcast Widget on your homepage.
- Click Publish¬†or Save.
Add audio player in the body of a story.
You can also add an audio player manually into any part of your story.¬† Audio players added this way will not show up on the homepage.
- Type the following shortcode in the body of the story:
- Make sure you put in the actual name of a hosted mp3 file. For example, if the file you want to play is hosted at “http://slowdeathrecords.com/audio/luketop_friends/01_friends.mp3″, you should enter
- When you click Publish¬†or Save, this shortcode will generate an audio player in your article on your Web site.
Customize the audio player
You can customize the look of your audio player by clicking on Audio Player¬†under the Settings¬†tab¬†on the left navigation bar in the WordPress dashboard.
Place a podcast widget on your site
If you don’t have a podcast widget on your site, click on Widgets under the Appearance tab and drag a SNO Podcast widget into any of your widget areas.¬† Then, set the category selection box in the widget to your audio/podcast category and click Save.
Set an audio file to autoplay
To have an audio file begin playing as soon as your page loads, add “|autostart=yes” to the end of the file URL.¬† The URL would look like this: http://www.domain.com/path/to/your_mp3_file.mp3|autostart=yes